- What is a Code Camp?
Code Camp is a two or three-day intensive coding program designed and created to ensure kids from all backgrounds, skills, and ages have the opportunity to make lasting friendships through teamwork and develop a new skill. Whether it’s in the computer lab or in a play-based environment, our educators are equipped to look out for and facilitate a welcoming and innovative space where the kids’ minds buzz with creativity.
We teach kids how to code/ program their own games as a foundation and then progress from developing their own apps, websites to other projects with computer science, robotics, and STEM-related activities.
For younger kids (5-7 year olds), we try and keep the activities super fun, hands-on, and active. We use a combination of ‘offline activities’ and laptop/ iPad based learning.
- What is After School Activity (ASA) Classes?
From time to time, we run various ASA classes in computer science, robotics, and STEM-related activities which run once or twice a week after school for one hour weekly for six to eight weeks.
- What is Coding?
Computers are amazing, but they can’t think for themselves (yet!). They require people to give them instructions. Coding is a list of step-by-step instructions that get computers to do what you want them to do. Coding makes it possible for us to create computer software, games, apps, and websites.
Coders, or programmers, are people who write the programs behind everything we see and do on a computer. When children learn to code, it helps them to develop essential skills such as problem-solving, logic, and critical thinking. Through coding, children can learn that there’s often more than one way to solve a problem and that simpler and more efficient solutions are often better. Learning to code encourages children to become creators, not just consumers, of the technology they use.
While learning to code, children are encouraged to think critically and strategically to solve problems – often simple puzzles like getting an onscreen character to move around a maze. For younger children, visual blocks are often used to represent programming concepts and terminology, such as ‘procedures’, ‘loops’, and ‘conditional instructions’, etc.
- Which Code Camp or ASA should I enrol my child in?
We have code camps/ classes to choose from, all completely unique and fun in their own ways. The camp/ class that is right for your child is dependent on your child’s coding experience.
- My child hasn’t been to Code Camp before
If your child has not attended any of our code camps before they can start with our Junior Rangers (5-7 year olds) or Tech Ninjas (8+) program to learn the basics of coding and then build their skills from there.
- BYO Device Requirements
We request that your child brings their own device including a mouse, headset (optional) and charger.
The laptop being brought from home just needs to meet the following criterion:
- Should be a bonafide laptop or tablet, phone won’t be adequate
- Must be able to connect to Wi-Fi networks without restrictions
- Have a web browser installed (e.g. Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Edge). Please note that if the laptop is a Mac, it will need access to the admin login (main login)
- Be reasonably fast and perform well
- Shouldn’t be more than 4 years old
- How many kids are in each Group/ Class?
Each class usually consists of 8-10 kids. The number of instructors present in each class depends on how many kids there are, but we try to keep the ratio of instructors to kids at 1:5.
- What will my child learn at Coding Camp/ Class?
At the end of each code camp/ class, we will send an update email to all parents on what was covered and what questions to ask their kids to trigger what they learnt.
- Food and Drinks
For the safety of our students with allergies, we do not provide food at our camps.
There are three break periods throughout each day of camp; morning-tea, lunch, and afternoon tea. Please pack enough food to keep your child energised and alert for the whole day, as if they were attending a regular day at school. And of course, a labelled bottle of water!
- How to make a payment?
We will email you an invoice and you can either make an online payment or pay by cash before the date of the code camp/ class. If paying by cash, for your convenience, we will accept payments on the first day of a code camp/ class.
Please note all payments must be made before the commencement of the code camp/ class.
- Payment Terms and Conditions
Cancellation by Us
- Unless otherwise specified or agreed in writing by us, all courses shall commence on the date specified by us. We reserve the right to change or cancel events prior to the class start date.
- We will use reasonable efforts to give notice of any cancellation of any course. If the course cannot be rescheduled, you may be entitled to a refund of any fee paid in respect of the cancelled services but shall not otherwise be entitled to any compensation, costs, losses or damages arising from such cancellation.
Cancellation by You
We are looking forward to seeing your child at camp, however, if you do need to cancel an enrolment please note our cancellation policy:
- Cancellations of courses must be made within 3 business days before the start date of the code camp/ class or the full tuition fee will be charged. Full code camp credit will be added to your account which can be used for the following seasons.
- No refunds on camp sessions started after the first day of a code camp/ class session.